Sunday, January 10, 2010

Holiday Brain Drain

Oh thank goodness the holidays are over. I do believe that most of my motivation and drive to write was sucked out of me along with all my cash. Now that's not to say I didn't do any work at all. Can you imagine the sheer number of new characters developing in my head with all the family members showing up, the fights and grievances between them, the drama, tears and laughter? Fodder, large amounts of fodder for stories, characters, plot lines, quips and conversations was all handed to me on a silver platter next to the turkey and cranberries.

All names will be changed as family/individual quirks and nuances are deposited into a story line, I wouldn't want my family to realize how often they are a part of my writing world. But for those of you who know my family, you may be able to pick out the familiarities. Actually, I am sure you will be able to.

With all the family milling about, there is always someone who sets something on fire, spills the punch, breaks the porcelain or as in our families case, pop Grandads boil on Christmas day. Yes, you read that correctly. How could there not be something there to use for a far fetched scene in a yet unpublished story?

Poor eating habits over the holidays induced a number of wild and fantastic nightmares, I say fantastic 'cause where else can you SEE what the world you are about to create looks like before you even set pen to paper?

So although I didn't ever actually write anything this Christmas season, I was busy penning notes in my head for a later date and time.

But now I am getting the creative juices flowing once more and I am finding myself a bit lost, with all this new fodder, it's hard to know which one to choose. One idea stands out, way out. It starts with a large boil being drained....hmmm....I wonder if I should put up the video of that for a little entertainment?